Thursday, October 25, 2012

Skull Fracturing Playlist #3


Skull Fracturing Playlist #3

Despite having plenty of newer material to listen to, I don't have the time to actually sit down and fully digest the music and gather my thoughts. I don't want to give the readers a bullshit review that wouldn't do them (or the bands for that matter) any good, so I'm gonna use the time I do have to give some newer bands who I've been listening to a lot lately some love, as well as some of the older gems I've been listening to, because you can never have too much great music. 


Band - Convent Guilt (Australia)
Demo - S/T
Genre - Heavy Metal

This is a band that I have some incredibly high hopes for. Hailing from the land of everything awesome that is metal, Australia, Convent Guilt have only released their debut four-song demo, and it is definitely worth the time of any metalhead who likes dirty, gritty heavy metal that doesn't aim to break any new ground. If you want catchy material written for the sake of love for the metal genre, then this demo is a must pick-up for you. For fans of Motorhead, Manilla Road, Angel Witch, etc. 


Convent Guilt - No Dawn in Lucifer's Light



Band - Hellbringer (Australia)
Album - Dominion of Darkness
Genre - Thrash

Oh look! Another band from Australia, but I simply cannot help the fact that just about every band from down under releases quality shit, and Hellbringer's debut full-length "Dominion of Darkness" is no exception. This is evil thrash at it's finest. The riffs, reverb-soaked vocals, dark atmosphere and everything else just mesh together perfectly for one of the best albums of 2012. For fans of Antichrist, Nekromantheon, Infernal Majesty, etc. 

Buy it here - http://www.hrrecords.de/

Hellbringer - Dominion of Darkness



Band - Cauldron (Canada)
Album - Tomorrow's Lost
Genre - Heavy Metal

One of my other absolute favorite countries for metal, Canada, has been pretty productive this year, and Cauldron's third album "Tomorrow's Lost" has not left my rotation since I first gave it a listen a couple weeks ago. This album sees Cauldron expanding on the awesome sound they first achieved on their debut "Chained to the Nite." The mix of gloomier material with more upbeat music is perfect and allows the band to show off their skills to the fullest. For fans of Angel Witch, White Wizzard, Halloween, etc. 

Buy it here - http://earache.com/

Cauldron - Tomorrow's Lost (Sun Will Fall)





Band - Asphyx (Netherlands)
Album - Deathhammer
Genre - Death Metal

One of my all-time favorite Death Metal bands Asphyx, responsible for classics such as "The Rack" and "Last One On Earth," has delivered yet another monstrous record full of heavy riffage, doomy passages and of course the brilliant Van Drunen handling vocal duties in the way that only he can. If you're a fan of the band's earlier work, then there isn't any reason why you shouldn't enjoy this monolithic record either. For fans of Grave, Hail of Bullets, Ataraxy, etc.

Buy it here - http://centurymedia.com/

Asphyx - As the Magma Mammoth Rises



That about covers the newer music that I've been spinning for the last few days, along with other newer releases that will be reviewed down the line at some point. And, of course, I've been enjoying plenty of old-school releases as well. I'll just leave some videos of a few of the awesome old-school albums in my rotation this past week or so. Enjoy!




Band - Pestilence (Netherlands)
Album - Consuming Impulse
Genre - Death/Thrash

Here's one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite death/thrash records of all time "Consuming Impulse." If you aren't already familiar with the Netherlands legends (which also feature the man himself Martin Van Fucking Drunen), then you need to remedy that immediately. I recommend the first two full-lengths for some killer riffs, solos and of course morbid vocals. 


Band - Dissection (Sweden)
Album - Storm of the Light's Bane
Genre - Black Metal

This is definitely one of my favorite tracks from one of my favorite black metal albums, "Storm of the Light's Bane," an absolute masterpiece of the genre. Thrashy riffs, sinister and melodic tremolos and an atmosphere as cold as the bleak winterlands that grace the album cover. 


Band - Infernal Majesty (Canada)
Album - None Shall Defy
Genre - Thrash

And here we have one of my favorite thrash songs ever. The evil vibe that the band has going on here is superb and makes the haunting lyrics and riffs all that much better. Definitely one of the more underrated bands from the Great White North of Canada.